Procedures for Processing
Georgia High School Graduation/ Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSGT/GHSWT) Waivers/Variances Requests
A GHSGT or GHSWT waiver is a decision by the State Board of Education (SBOE) not to apply all or part of the requirements of the GHSGT or GHSWT to a Georgia student who meets certain basic qualifications.
A GHSGT or GHSWT variance is a decision by the State Board of Education (SBOE) to modify all or part of the literal requirements of the GHSGT/GHSWT.
- Applicants should obtain a waiver/variance checklist and follow the outlined steps.
- Checklist can be obtained from:
- DOE website –www.doe.k12.ga.us
- High School Counselors
- Newton County Curriculum Office
- Applicant must provide a letter requesting consideration for a GHSGT/GHSWT variance or waiver. The letter should including the following information: (Letter from parent/guardian if applicant is under the age of 18.)
- State whether applying for a variance or waiver.
- Section(s) of the test for which you are requesting consideration.
- Permission for Newton County School System to release records regarding the variance or waiver request to the State Board of Education.
- Applicant must complete checklist and provide the necessary documentation for each item. (see waiver/variance checklist)
- Once checklist is completed with documentation and a letter addressed to Newton County School’s Superintendent provided, information should be submitted to the Newton County School System’s Test Director for review.
- Once the submitted information is verified to be complete, a letter from the superintendent will accompany the applicant’s GHSGT/GHSWT waiver/variance packet and be sent to the State Department of Education.
- The Georgia Department of Education will contact each applicant as to the status of his/her application.
Dr. Carl Skinner
Director of Testing, Research, and Evaluation
(770)-787-1330 ext. 1216