Located on Airport Road near its intersection with Geogia Highway 142, Flint Hill Elementary School opened its doors to students for the first ime on August 4, 2011. The student population was originally made up of the entire student body of the former Palmer Stone Elementary School and additional students from East Newton Elementary School and Ficquett Elementary School.
With 150,000 square feet of floor space, Flint Hill is the largest elementary school in Newton County. There are ninety-three classrooms, a cafeteria, a gymnasium, and a large media center. The opening enrollment was just under 1,200 students led by 137 certified and classified staff members.
At Flint Hill we feel lucky to be equipped with state-of-the-art technology. The building is entirely wireless and houses two computer labs and three ALEKS labs. Each classroom has an interactive whiteboard, computers linked to their own server, a stereo sound system with a wireless microphone worn by the teacher, and a handheld microphone for student use. Students and teachers also have access to iPods, iPads, Netbooks, laptop computers, ActiVotes, and the latest learner response systems, ActivExpressions.
The site of Flint Hill Elementary is in the area of Newton County once known as the Flint Hill Community. There was a previous Flint Hill School nearby. The long-gone Flint Hill School served the first through the eleventh grades. In the fall of 1911, the school had an enrollment of 84 students staffed by three teachers. What a difference 100 years makes!